교황 관련 자료실

교황 베네딕토 16세 즉위 경축 미사 교황대사 말씀

인쇄

주호식 [jpatrick] 쪽지 캡슐

2005-05-07 ㅣ No.38

Thanksgiving Mass for the election of His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

These last two weeks or so have been an extraordinary experience for me personally and probably for most of you too. There was first the death and burial of John Paul II, then the conclave and the election of his Successor Pope Benedict XVI. Today we have come together for a celebration of thanksgiving and to express our gratitude to God who in his mercy and kindness has done great things for us (cf. Lk 1: 46ff).

I greet you with the words the new Pope addressed to the Cardinals one day after his election: “May grace and peace be multiplied to all of you” (cf. 1 Peter 1:2)!

Brothers and sisters, dear friends, who is Benedict XVI?

Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger was born on 16 April 1927 in Marktl am Inn, Germany. He was ordained a priest on 29 June 1951.

His father, a police officer, came from a traditional family of farmers from Lower Baviera. He spent his adolescent years in Traunstein, and was called into the auxiliary anti-aircraft service in the last months of World War II. From 1946 to 1951, the year in which he was ordained a priest and began to teach, he studied philosophy and theology at the University of Munich and at the higher school in Freising. In 1953 he obtained a doctorate in theology and four years later, he qualified as a university teacher. He then taught successively dogma and fundamental theology at the higher school of philosophy and theology of Freising, Bonn, Munster and T?bingen. From 1969, he was a professor of dogmatic theology and of the history of dogma at the University of Regensburg and Vice President of the same University.

Already in 1962 he was well known when, at the age of 35, he became a consultor at the Second Vatican Council of the then Archbishop of Cologne, Cardinal Joseph Frings. Among his numerous publications, a particular post belongs to the ‘Introduction to Christianity’, a collection of university lessons on the profession of apostolic faith, published in 1968; Dogma and rivelation, an anthology of essays, sermons and reflections dedicated to the pastoral ministry, published in 1973.

In March 1977, Paul VI elected him Archbishop of Munich and Freising and on 28 May 1977 he was consecrated, the first diocesan priest after 80 years to take over the pastoral ministry of this large Bavarian diocese.

Created and proclaimed Cardinal by Paul VI in the consistory of 27 June 1977,  on 25 November 1981 he was nominated by John Paul II Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith and President of the Biblical Commission and the Pontifical International Theological Commission. During his tenure of office he was also the spokesman for the 5th General Assembly of the Synod of Bishops in 1980 and President Delegate to the 6th Synodal Assembly in 1983.

On 6 November 1998 he was elected Vice Dean of the College of Cardinals and on 30 November 2002 Pope John Paul II approved his election as Dean of the College of Cardinals.

Another highlight in Cardinal Ratzinger’s carrier was his appointment by John Paul II as President of the Commission for the Preparation of the Catechism of the Catholic Church, which he presented to the Holy Father after 6 years of work (1986-92).

Cardinal Ratzinger was also a member of the some of the most important Dicasteries of the Roman Curia.

Dear friends,

In his address to the Cardinals on the day after his election, Benedict XVI also expressed his feelings: “In these hours, two contrasting sentiments coexist in my spirit”, he observed. “On one hand, a sense of inadequacy and of human anxiety before the universal Church, because of the responsibility that was entrusted to me yesterday as Successor of the Apostle Peter in this See of Rome. On the other hand, I feel very intensely in myself a profound gratitude to God who -- as we sing in the liturgy -- does not abandon his flock, but leads it through the times, under the guidance of those whom he himself has chosen as vicars of his Son and has constituted pastors (cf. Preface of the Apostles I)”.

Then his thoughts went back to the roots of his ministry a pastor of the Universal Church and he said: “ I reflect again in these hours on all that occurred in the region of Caesarea Philippi, some 2000 years ago. “I seem to hear Peter's words: ‘You are the Christ, the Son of the living God,’ and the Lord's solemn affirmation: ‘You are Peter, and on this rock I will build my Church ... I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven’ (Matthew16:15-19)”.

And he continued: “You are the Christ! You are Peter! I seem to relive the same evangelical scene; I, Successor of Peter, repeat with trepidation the anxious words of the fisherman of Galilee and I hear again with profound emotion the reassuring promise of the divine Teacher. If the burden of responsibility that is placed on my poor shoulders is enormous, exceeding is as well the divine power which I can count on: ‘You are Peter, and on this rock I will build my Church’ (Matthew 16:18). In choosing me as Bishop of Rome, the Lord has desired me to be his Vicar, he has desired me to be the "rock" on which all can lean with security. I ask him to make up for the poverty of my strength, so that I will be a courageous and faithful Shepherd of his flock, always docile to the inspirations of his Spirit”.

In his first public statement Pope Benedict also pledged to continue in the footsteps of the Second Vatican Council and his Predecessor Pope John Paul II. He promised to spare no energies for the reconstitution of the full and visible unity of the followers of Christ. “This is his (the Pope’s) ambition, this is his imperative duty”, he exclaimed. The Holy Father knows that more is needed than just a manifestation of good sentiments: “there must be concrete gestures, he stressed, that penetrate spirits and move consciences, leading each one to that interior conversion that is the presupposition of all progress on the path to ecumenism”.         

He then turned to those who follow other religions or who simply seek an answer to the fundamental question of life and have not yet found it. “I turn to all with simplicity and affection, he said, to assure them that the Church wishes to continue to engage with them in an open and sincere dialogue, in search of the true good of man and society. I invoke from God the peace and unity for the human family and declare the readiness of all Catholics to cooperate for a genuine social development, respectful of the dignity of every human being”.  

Finally, Benedict XVI addressed the young people with these words: “I think in particular of young people. To them, privileged interlocutors of Pope John Paul II, I direct my affectionate embrace while waiting, God willing, to meet them in Cologne on the occasion of the next World Youth Day. With you, dear young people, future and hope of the Church and of humanity, I will continue to dialogue, listening to your expectations in an attempt to help you to encounter ever more profoundly the living Christ, the eternal young”.

To conclude let me thank each and every one of you here present and all the people who rejoice with us and pray for the new Pope. I would like to express my special gratitude to the President and the Members of the Catholic Bishops Conference of Korea, the Representatives of Government ?----- and Parliament, the Members of the Diplomatic Corps and International Organizations, the Leaders and representatives of our Sisters Churches and ecclesial communities, the priests and religious. My deep appreciation goes also to the Leaders of other Religions and the media. Long live Benedict XVI and may the Lord bless him and his ministry. I thank you.

+Emil P. Tscherrig

<번역문>

형제자매 여러분,

지난 2주 가량은 저에게 특별한 시간이었으며, 아마 여러분에게도 그랬을 것으로 생각됩니다. 교황 요한 바오로 2세의 선종과 장례식에 이어 콘클라베가 열리고 그분의 후임으로 교황 베네딕토 16세께서 선출되셨습니다. 오늘 우리는, 자비와 사랑으로 우리에게 큰일을 해 주신(루가 1,46 이하 참조) 하느님께 감사를 드리기 위해서 한 자리에 모였습니다.

새 교황님께서 선출되신 다음 날 추기경단에게 하신 말씀으로 저도 여러분께 인사를 드립니다. “여러분에게 은총과 평화가 충만하기를 빕니다”(1베드 1,2 참조).

형제자매 여러분, 그리고 사랑하는 친구 여러분,

여러분께 베네딕토 16세가 어떤 분인지 짧게 소개할까 합니다.

새 교황님께서는 1927년 4월 16일 독일 마르크틀 암 인에서 태어나셨고, 1951년 6월 29일 사제로 서품되셨습니다.

그분의 아버지는 남부 바비에라의 전통적인 농가 출신의 경찰관이셨습니다. 트라운슈타인에서 청소년기를 보내셨으며, 제2차 세계대전 말 몇 달간은 대공사격 지원부대에 소집되셨습니다. 1946년부터, 사제로 서품되어 강의를 시작하신 1951년까지는, 뮌헨 대학교과 프라이징 대학에서 철학과 신학을 공부하셨습니다. 1953년 신학박사 학위를 받으시고, 4년 후 대학교수 자격을 취득하셨으며, 그때부터 프라이징, 본, 뮌스터와 튀빙겐의 철학 신학 대학에서 교의와 기초 신학을 가르치셨고, 1969년부터는 레겐스부르크 대학교의 교의신학과 교의사학 교수이셨으며, 부총장을 지내셨습니다.

1962년, 그분은 35세의 나이로 당시 쾰른 대교구장이던 요제프 프링스 추기경을 도와 제2차 바티칸 공의회에 전문가로 참석하시면서 유명해지셨습니다. 그분의 여러 저작들 가운데에는, 특별히 1968년에 출판된 사도 신경에 관한 대학 강의록 모음집인「그리스도교 입문」, 그리고 1973년 출판된 사목 직무에 관한 수필과 설교, 성찰 선집인 「교의와 계시」를 꼽을 수 있습니다.

1977년 3월, 교황 바오로 6세께서는 라칭거 신부를 뮌헨-프라이징 대교구장으로 임명하셨고, 1977년 5월 28일 대주교로 서품되시면서 교구 출신 사제로서는 80년 만에 처음으로 바이에른 지방의 이 큰 교구를 맡게 되셨습니다.

교황 바오로 6세께서는 1977년 6월 27일 추기경 회의에서 그분을 추기경으로 서임하셨고, 1981년 11월 25일에는 교황 요한 바오로 2세께서 교황청 신앙교리성 장관, 성서위원회 위원장과 국제신학위원회 위원장으로 임명하셨습니다. 재임 기간 중 1980년 제5차 세계주교대의원회의 정기 총회 대변인과 1983년 제6차 세계주교대의원회의 정기 총회 의장대리를 맡기도 하셨습니다.

1998년 11월 6일, 요제프 라칭거 추기경은 추기경단 부단장으로 선출되셨고, 2002년 11월 30일에는 교황 요한 바오로 2세께서 추기경단장으로 승인하셨습니다.

새 교황님의 이력에서 또 하나 강조할 것은, 교황 요한 바오로 2세께 가톨릭 교회 교리서 준비위원회 위원장으로 임명되시어, 1986년부터 1992년까지 6년에 걸친 작업 끝에 「가톨릭 교회 교리서」를 완성한 것을 들 수 있습니다.

새 교황님께서는 또한 로마 교황청 주요 부서들의 위원이기도 하셨습니다.

친구 여러분,

새 교황 베네딕토 16세께서 선출되신 다음 날 추기경들에게 하신 연설에서는 이렇게 소감을 표현하셨습니다. “저는 지금 두 가지 상반된 감정을 느끼고 있습니다. 한편으로는, 어제 이곳 사도좌에서 베드로 사도의 후계자로 제게 맡겨진 책임 때문에  보편 교회 앞에서 제 자신이 부족다는 생각과 인간적으로 두려운 마음이 듭니다. 다른 한편으로는, 마음속 깊이 하느님께 감사드리고 있습니다. 우리가 전례에서 노래하였듯이, 하느님께서는 당신 양떼를 버려두지 않으시고, 친히 성자의 대리자를 뽑아 목자로 삼으시어 영원히 당신 양떼를 인도하게 하셨습니다(사도 감사송 1 참조).”

그리고는 보편 교회의 목자로서 당신 직무의 근원을 되짚어보시며, 이렇게 말씀하셨습니다. “지금 이 시간, 저는 이천년 전 필립보의 가이사리아 지방에서 일어난 일을 생각하고 있습니다. ‘선생님은 살아계신 하느님의 아들 그리스도이십니다.’라고 한 베드로의 말과 ‘너는 베드로이다. 내가 이 반석 위에 내 교회를 세울 것이다. …… 나는 너에게 하늘나라의 열쇠를 주겠다.’(마태 16,15-19)고 하신 예수님의 장엄하신 말씀이 제 귓가에 맴돕니다.”

새 교황님은 또 말씀하십니다. “선생님은 그리스도이십니다! 너는 베드로이다! 저는 지금 이 복음 장면을 재현하고 있는 것 같습니다. 베드로의 후계자인 저는 갈릴래아 출신의 그 어부가 걱정스럽게 한 말을 떨리는 목소리로 되풀이하며, 스승이신 하느님께서 안심시켜 주시며 하신 약속에 진심으로 다시 한 번 귀 기울여 봅니다. 지금 나약한 제 어깨 위에 놓인 책임이 막중하지만, 하느님의 힘은 더욱 크시리라는 것을 기대할 수 있을 것입니다. ‘너는 베드로이다. 내가 이 반석 위에 내 교회를 세울 것이다’(마태 16,18). 주님께서는 저를 교황으로 뽑으시어 주님의 대리자가 되어 모든 사람이 편안히 기댈 수 있는 ‘반석’이 되기를 바라십니다. 저는 주님께서 저의 부족한 힘을 채워주시어 당신 양떼의 용기 있고 충실한 목자로서 언제나 당신 성령의 이끄심을 따르게 해 달라고 주님께 간청 드립니다.”

새 교황 베네딕토 16세께서는 첫 공식 연설에서, 제2차 바티칸 공의회와 그분의 선임자 교황 요한 바오로 2세의 뒤를 이을 것을 다짐하셨습니다. 그분은 그리스도의 제자들의 완전하고 명확한 일치를 재건하는 데에 노력을 아끼지 않겠다고 약속하셨습니다. “이것이 (교황으로서) 제가 품은 뜻이며 제가 해야 할 절대적인 의무”라고 분명히 말씀하셨습니다. 교황 성하께서는 단순히 호의를 표명하는 것만으로는 충분하지 않다는 것을 아시고, “교회 일치의 길로 가는 모든 진보의 전제는 바로 내적 회개라는 것을 모든 사람에게 일깨워 줄 수 있는, 마음속으로 파고들어 양심을 움직이는 그러한 구체적인 행동이 있어야만” 한다고 말씀하셨습니다.

그리고 다른 종교 신자들과 인생의 근본적인 문제들에 대한 해답을 찾고 있으나 아직 발견하지 못한 이들에 대해서도 말씀하셨습니다. “인류와 사회의 참된 선을 찾는 데에 있어서, 교회는 그들과 솔직하고 진지한 대화를 계속해 나가기를 바란다는 것을 그들에게 확신시키기 위하여 저는 소박하고 다정하게 그들과 대화를 나눌 것입니다. 저는 하느님께 인류 가족을 위한 일치와 평화를 간청하며, 모든 가톨릭 신자는 모든 인간의 존엄성을 존중하는 사회의 참된 발전에 기꺼이 협력할 것임을 선언합니다.”

교황님께서는 젊은이들에게 말씀하셨습니다. “저는 특히 젊은이들을 생각합니다. 교황 요한 바오로 2세께서 특별히 즐겨 대화를 나누셨던 젊은이들에게 저도 사랑의 인사를 보냅니다. 올해 세계 청년 대회 때 쾰른에서 만날 수 있기를 바랍니다. 온 교회와 전세계의 미래이며 희망인 사랑하는 젊은이 여러분, 저는 여러분과 대화를 계속해 나가면서 여러분의 기대를 듣고 여러분이 살아계신 그리스도, 언제나 젊으신 그리스도를 더욱 깊이 만날 수 있도록 도울 수 있기를 바랍니다.”

끝으로, 저는 여기 참석하신 한 분 한 분과 우리와 함께 새 교황님의 즉위를 기뻐하고 그분을 위해 기도하는 모든 분께 감사를 드립니다. 한국 천주교 주교회의 의장 대주교님을 비롯한 여러 주교님들, 그리고 정부와 국회, 외교사절단과 국제기구를 대표해서 오신 분들, 자매 교회들과 교회 공동체들의 지도자와 대표들, 사제와 수도자들께 특별히 감사를 드립니다. 또한 다른 종교 지도자들과 언론에도 깊이 감사드립니다. 교황 베네딕토 16세께서 만수무강하시기를, 주님께서 우리의 새 교황님과 그분의 직무를 강복해 주시기를 빕니다. 감사합니다.

+ 에밀 폴 체릭 대주교
주한 교황대사

파일첨부

75 0

추천 반대(0)

페이스북 트위터 핀터레스트 구글플러스

Comments
Total0
※ 500자 이내로 작성 가능합니다. (0/500)

• ※ 로그인 후 등록 가능합니다.